Welcome in DanzaShop Customer Care. For any further information do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SPECIAL ORDERS (Made to measure costumes, customized items)
- Shipping costs are charged to addressee
- We required 30% down payment at order confirmation. The remaining 70% before shipping
- Once we forwarded the order is not possible to add or delete any quantity and it is not possible to delete the entire order
- Changes are not allowed except for faulty item.
• Credit Cards
• Bank Transfer:
Bank account - DanzaShop
Banca Popolare dell'Emilia Romagna - Filiale di Ortona
In order to avoid delay in shipping we suggest you to send a copy of the payment at email@example.com
In case you are not satisfy with item you can return within 14 days starting form the day you receive it.
The item must be return:
• in its package
• with the original label
• in case of tights or underwear you shouldn’t have worn it
• in case of CDs and DVDs mustn’t be opened.
shipping costs for return are not charged to DanzaShop. Once we receive the item back and we verify that is everything fine, we will refund you.